I was really excited to come across a new accessible fashion website today. The Able Label purports to provide “quality, stylish clothes with adapted designs and hidden extras that make self-dressing easier for those with dressing difficulties”.
And the most exciting aspect is that the clothes really do look stylish. Something that can seldom be said about accessible fashion.
Go have a look HERE. There’s lots to love :
- Fiddly fastenings are replaced with quality hook and loop closures that will last as long as the garment when washed correctly – far easier to use than traditional fastenings.
- Colour co-ordinated tape and hook loop fasteners inside help those with cognitive difficulties to get dressed – ‘red for right’ and ‘lime for left’.
- Wrap styles make dressing quicker, easier and safer for the wearer – and possibly also for caregivers assisting with dressing.
- Shirts fasten with discreet hook and loop patches and have colour co-ordinated armholes making them easier to find.
- There are no fastenings on trousers so they’re easier to get on and off.
- All material used is natural, soft and breathable with added stretch for extra comfort and more ‘give’ when dressing and undressing.
- No items are dressed over the head.
- Putting an outfit together is easy with our range of beautiful, co-ordinating colours.
- The easy-care fabric needs little maintenance and wash at 40 degrees.
- Sizes range from 8 – 22.
Like so many of the start ups in the ageing space, the founder’s inspiration came from personal experience. Katie Ellis, was a fashion buyer for the High Street clothing retailer, White Stuff (and happily there’s more than a hint of White Stuff style in the collection). Katie’s grandmother had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s and Katie saw that dressing was becoming increasingly difficult for her. So she searched for solutions but found there was nothing that fit the bill. Hence the founding of the The Able Label.
We wish Katie and The Able Label every success and look forward to seeing more lines and designs as the business grows..